Williston Research Extension Center Field Days Set for July 12 and 13
Field days at North Dakota State University’s (NDSU) Williston Research Extension Center (WREC) are set for July 12 and 13. NDSU research scientists will highlight their work. Greg Lardy, NDSU vice president for agricultural affairs, will attend the field day.
The annual dryland agronomy and horticulture field day will be held Wednesday, July 12, at the WREC, 4.5 miles west of Williston on U.S. Highway 2. The event begins with registration at 3 p.m. Central time.
The dryland crops tour starts at 4 p.m. Topics include:
- Pulse breeding, upcoming releases
- WREC Foundation Seedstocks pulse varieties
- Kernza perennial grain
- Climate Smart Approaches in Agriculture
- Durum wheat varieties, acreages, and performance
- Scab update
- Weed control update
- Livestock update
- Guar and Black Gram trial results
A concurrent horticulture program starts at 4 p.m. in the Ernie French Center for those interested in flowers, gardening, and fruit/vegetable production. Program topics include:
- Weed identification and pesticides
- Conifer trees
- Raspberries and strawberries
- All America Selections flowers and pollinator garden
A free steak and lamb dinner for attendees will follow the completion of the tours.
The irrigation field day will be held on Thursday, July 13, at the WREC Nesson Valley Irrigation Research and Development Farm, 23 miles east of Williston on North Dakota Highway 1804. Topics include:
- Plant disease in corn and small grains
- Weed control update and managing resistant weeds
- Variety trial update
- Soil moisture monitoring
- Market outlook for Fall 2023
- Managing soil moisture in soybeans and its impact on growth and yield
Registration will begin at 8:30 a.m. and the irrigated crop tour will begin at 9 a.m. The day will conclude with a noon luncheon sponsored by Agri-Industries.
North Central Research Extension Center 2023 Field Day
Jul 19, 2023, 8:30 am – 12 pm CDT
North Central REC, 5400 Highway 83 S, Minot, ND
Watch for more information.