Burke County Cities
Burke County has six incorporated communities along
unincorporated villages and some which are only a memory.
Click Here for Burke County Map
the county seat, has just over 400 people and is located at the junction
of Hwy 52 and Hwy 8 in the east-central portion of the
county. (Bowbells website)
* Columbus, a once thriving coal boomtown, now has just 151 people living in this quiet community along Hwy 5 in the northwestern part of the county.
* Flaxton, with a population of 73 people, is home to the Burke County
Fair, held each summer just a mile north of town (Flaxton
* Lignite, near the center of the county, is named for the abundant type of coal found nearby and is home to 174 friendly people.
* Portal, on the Canadian-US border is a busy 24hr port of entry
for rail traffic on the Canadian Pacific Railway as well as commercial
truck traffic and passenger vehicles on US Hwy 52. Portal has 131
would welcome you to their community. (Portal
* Powers Lake, at the southern end of the county, invites you to
join them for a fine day of hunting or fishing on Powers Lake or
Smishek Lake. Powers Lake is home to 309 people who will do their
best to make
your stay a memorable one. (Powers
Lake website) (Powers Lake
* Battleview, Coteau, Larson and Northgate are unincorporated
* Rival, Stampede, Perella and Woburn are ghost towns with few or
no buildings but many memories. (Photos of